Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tasmania: Australia's Hidden Jewel



This time of the year, now that winter is officially here does mean temperatures get lower BUT the sun still shines. Where I live we now often experience the Bridgewater Jerry. Rathr than try to explain myself I have found this quote on google.






''The 'Bridgewater Jerry' is a fog which occasionally affects the Bridgewater–Hobart area. At night, in cooler months, cold air drains down the mountains of southern Tasmania as katabatic winds and collects in the Derwent Valley. Fog will form if this invading air is moist and cool enough. It drains out of the valley in the mornings, blowing the fog with it. The fog mainly affects the Derwent and the northern and western suburbs of Hobart, but occasionally reaches the Eastern Shore.
The most likely explanation of the term 'jerry' is that it came with convicts from London, where it was thieves' slang for 'fog' or 'mist'. In 1821 Governor Macquarie, staying at Austins Ferry, could not leave for Hobart until 12.30 pm due to thick fog – probably the first recorded Bridgewater Jerry. ''


So Monday morning started out foggy, I couldnt even see the hill which is just across the road. But as the morning progresses and the sun breaks through then the fog lifts and one needs sunglasses. I must admit when I first moved into my house I was surprised, all of a sudden I was having memories of my childhood in England. Now I know that quite often if I leave home and head down the hill then the fog will be gone.


I did this Monday and headed to the shops. I drove along the 'old main road' which runs by the Derwent River. I stopped to take a few photos as I wanted to show the World a special Memorial site.

Here are celebrated Dogs. Dogs that went to war, to Antartica, search and rescue. All manner of special dogs. It is a lovely site on the bank of the river. Inlaid into the path are dog's names, units and people associated with the dogs. There is a nice spot to sit and think about 'man's best friend'



No comments:

Post a Comment